Re: Meeting agenda robot

From: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
To: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>, Joerg Jaspert <joerg(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Meeting agenda robot
Date: 2008-12-24 20:12:38
Lists: spi-general

----- "Jimmy Kaplowitz" <jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org> wrote:

> This is not really an answer to your question for a variety of reasons, not the
> least of which is I'm not Joerg, but do all these scalable and flexible Java
> frameworks work with OpenJDK, preferably as packaged in Debian? I certainly
> wouldn't want SPI stuff running on something that wasn't free software such as
> the binary Sun JRE/JDK, and I'd probably veto that as far as software relating
> to secretarial duties, such as we're discussing here.
>
> Assuming the solution we end up with works entirely with free software
> (counting OpenJDK as free software), I don't have strong preferences as far as
> what we use, but I'm quite happy to defer to the preferences of Joerg in this
> regard since he's the one who will have to do the sysadmin work and I don't
> want his job to be unpleasant. I'd still be interested in knowing his reasons,
> both technical and non-technical, but I'm not going to dispute them.

OpenJDK is pretty much equivalent to JRE on the server. I don't do a lot of Swing programming these days so I'm not sure if the font hinting problems have been cleared up. I'm pretty sure they are.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
ean(at)brainfood(dot)com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315