Re: Identification of problems

From: srivasta(at)acm(dot)org
To: jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org
Cc: spi-bylaws(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-board(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Identification of problems
Date: 2003-02-14 19:54:07
Lists: spi-bylaws

> I want to remark on your discussion of our charter now, and save my
> remarks on the problems highlighted until it is on-topic later:

>> I would go so far as to say if we do not address the problem of
>> making board effective at conducting business (like handling the
>> veto rule for email resolutions) we shall have failed our charter.

> Obviously we need to make the board effective.

> However, the bylaws committee should not be usurped for personal
> preferences,

Excuse me? What personal preferences? Are you seriously
accusing me of usurping the committee for my iwn personal agenda?

Speaking as a board memeber, the only reason I voted for an
amendment of the bylaws was that the board was ineffective, and there
seemed no remedy under the current by laws.

I suggest you look into the discussion on the board
immediately prior to the formualtion of the by-laws committee for
some of the motivating factors.

> and to presume that we should advocate overriding motions of the
> board in a more permanent fashion by putting them in the bylaws
> does not seem to serve the long-term interests of SPI.

You do not seem to understand a word of what I said. What
motions of the board are we over turning? The board voted to create
a by laws change committee not to have spiffier by laws, but to
ensure the board did not fal l into a state of impotence and
inactivity again.

> If there is a problem with the motions the board has passed, the
> right place to fix it is in the board, not in this committee --

Elucidate. What motions are you referring to?

> UNLESS the problem stems from a root deficiency in the bylaws. For
> things like e-mail veto rule and weekday board meetings[1], which
> are passed by the board and not part of the bylaws, it is only
> within our charter to act if it can be shown that this is due to a
> bylaws problem.

And I suggest we create a mechanism in the by laws that
addresses the issues that lead to the formation of the committee; if
all we are about is minor tweaks of the current by laws and
clarifications of membvership rules, then I believe the commmittee
is largely irrelevant.

> I would add that a case for the e-mail resolutions being a bylaws
> problem is clear, as it seems that e-mail voting is not permissible
> under the current bylaws.

OK.

> However, assuming that e-mail voting sans veto rule is the only way
> to accomplish this is very presumptious -- other people may have
> other ideas, and perhaps reorganizing things to stick more closely
> to the original intended structure could also solve the problem. I
> am not advocating one particular solution or voting against any at

Oh, get off your high horse. I never said that my suggested
solution was the only one feasible -- or even the workable under the
current formulation. It was an example offered as what I see as a
problem in the ways the board currently has to work.

> this time; just saying that stating that "we have failed our
> charter if we do not use this one particular solution" is silly and
> prejudicial.

Bullshit. I am tempted to say you are delibrately
prevaricating. Read what I said.

>> We are meant to investigate methodologies that shall allow
>> the board to conduct business effectively; and specifically putting
>> in a process that enables the board to conduct business in a non-real
>> time format is essential. I would go so far as to say if we do not
>> address the problem of making board effective at conducting business
>> (like handling the veto rule for email resolutions) we shall have
>> failed our charter.

Does the work ``like'' not clue you in to the fact that I am
not wedded to the example I provide of the problem? Did I even
m,ention a bloody solution?

What exactly _is_ your agenda?

manoj
vastly irritated
--
We stand today at a crossroads: One path leads to despair and utter
hopelessness. The other leads to total extinction. Let us hope we