Re: Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: David Graham - SPI Secretary <cdlu(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework
Date: 2004-10-16 22:21:19
Lists: spi-general

David Graham - SPI Secretary writes ("Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework"):
> Resolution 2004-10-16.dbg.1: Committee Framework

I think this is a very fine resolution.

Do we have good suggestions for committees to form ? Are we intending
to form a committee for, broadly speaking, every area of the board's
responsibility ?

I can see, for example, that it might be useful for the board to
delegate a day-to-day finances committee to oversee the work of the
Treasurer, authorise minor non-project-related expenditures, etc.
That might allow Jimmy to get authorisation for things quicker (if
that's what he wants).

Another possibility would be an associated project liason committee
which would approve new associated projects, deal with their
representation to the main board, etc.

Between them these would take away the majority of the board's
workload; we might be able to reduce our meeting frequency. On the
other hand, probably many of the same people would end up on those
committees as are on the board, in which case it might just cause
extra formalities for no extra load-sharing.

Ian.