Re: Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bdale Garbee <bdale(at)gag(dot)com>, Filipus Klutiero <chealer(at)gmail(dot)com>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue #2 - Allow contributions to website from browser
Date: 2016-08-19 14:40:49
Lists: spi-general

On 08/18/2016 07:53 PM, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> Frankly, though, the fact that anyone can install the ikiwiki processor
> locally and apply it to a checked out copy of the web content git
> repository means that it may just be a better plan to assume that anyone
> who wants to contribute will be willing to "figure things out"...

Comments like this essentially equate to:

SPI in its current incarnation is a great silo for a lot of really smart
people who face each other saying, "we know best" while everyone else
drives by the farm.

While I was still on Board. I was asked to update my contact
information. I had to:

* Supply a ssh key
* Learn the basic configuration (URL etc...) of the SPI git repository
* Deal with an acrimonious board member because I misread the url
* Remember my basic git commands (I use it maybe once/twice a year
outside of a git clone/git diff)
* Edit a *TEXT FILE* that contained contact information

This is not 1982. This should *all* be in a CMS/CRM, backed to a proper
database (PostgreSQL ;)). The information should be a part of my
membership profile. I should (at the time) be a member of the "board" role.

I just joined OpenSource.org (literally). They use CiviCRM. Looking
objectively at their site, I have learned more about Open
Source/FreeSoftware, Community, Licensing, Contributing and events than
I learned in the entire time I have a been a member of SPI.

I wonder if they have these same issues or if they realized like most of
the productive world that at some point you compromise for the larger goal.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/