Re: Apple claims "Open Source" trademark

From: "Marcelo E(dot) Magallon" <mmagallo(at)efis(dot)ucr(dot)ac(dot)cr>
To: Tor Slettnes <tor(at)slett(dot)net>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, brady2(at)apple(dot)com, sheppard(at)apple(dot)com
Subject: Re: Apple claims "Open Source" trademark
Date: 1999-03-17 23:22:53
Lists: spi-general

[I'm keeping the Cc: to the Apple people]

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 12:24:54PM -0800, Tor Slettnes wrote:

> If you read the press release,
> http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CnU3LubWbu0zuvta4o&FQ=Linux&SymH
>
> you will see towards the bottom:
> "Open Source is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc."

In good faith, I think that's a typo. It actually reads:

NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac OS, Power Macintosh and
WebObjects are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. Open Source
is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

I don't see a reason why "Apple Computer, Inc." should be mentioned twice.
It would be interesting to know what they intended to write there...
"Software in the Public Interest"? I hope.

Marcelo Magallon