Re: Bylwas Revision: COMMITTEES

From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)cs(dot)leidenuniv(dot)nl>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bylwas Revision: COMMITTEES
Date: 1999-03-30 23:25:52
Lists: spi-general

Previously Nils Lohner wrote:
> - they should take care of most of the day to day operation of SPI
> [this takes the workload off the BOD]

Basically they're delegates of the BOD, right?

> - their rights and responsibilities should be completely described in
> their charter

True. We should do that for Debian as well, but I'm not in a hurry
there since Debian already works fine.

> - the BOD should be able to issue charters (i.e. create committees)
> [I'm thinking that if the consensus is that a new committee is needed,
> the BOD can issue a charter. The membership should definitely have some
> input here though. how? By helping write the charter.]

Help writing the chapter and of course being able to revoke the creation
of a new committee via a vote.

> QUESTIONS:
> ----------
> - how are leaders appointed? I'd say by the BOD, possibly the membership.

Have people from the membership volunteer and let the BOD make the final
choice I think.

> - how are members appointed? BOD? Leader? Membership?

Another quite common option is to select a leader and let him choose the
rest of the committee if you're forming a new committee. If a current
leader is replace a new leader is chosen by the BOD and the current
committee, with advise from the leaving leader.

> - what do we do if a committee is no longer necessary? disband it. How?
> BOD vote?

I think a committee should have to disband itself.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma(at)cs(dot)leidenuniv(dot)nl