Re: APSL 1.1

From: Chip Salzenberg <chip(at)perlsupport(dot)com>
To: John Hasler <john(at)dhh(dot)gt(dot)org>
Cc: debian-legal(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org
Subject: Re: APSL 1.1
Date: 1999-04-21 11:37:46
Lists: spi-general

According to John Hasler:
> Chip Salzenberg writes:
> > I'm not dismissing you. I'm pointing to the real culprits that have made
> > this clause of the APSL *necessary*.
>
> You have a legal opinion on this? Case law? Relevant statutes?

"Ya got me." No, I don't. But the OSI has a lawyer at our disposal,
so I'll seek one.

> > Individuals and pseudo-individuals like corportations should be trusted
> > in varying degrees according to their individual characters.
>
> Publicly held corporations can be trusted only to obey the law and honor
> their contracts.

Oh, I agree entirely. The law and most corporate charters actually
make it a crime for corporate officers to do 'the right thing' if that
'right thing' loses money, or makes less money than 'the wrong thing'
would.

> ... [New] people who believe that much or all of what their predecessors
> did was wrong. This sort of thing happens not infrequently in the computer
> industry. Consider, to pick an example entirely at random, Apple.

*youch* That one made contact.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <chip(at)perlsupport(dot)com>
"When do you work?" "Whenever I'm not busy."