Perl SIG, First meeting Tue, Feb 22 6:00 @ IBM, 57th and Mad Ave

From: "John van V(dot)" <john_van_v(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: ny(at)lists(dot)pm
Cc: 3moons(at)bway(dot)net, Dean(dot)Carpenter(at)pharma(dot)com, DrSimeon(at)earthlink(dot)com, JoshNarins(at)aol(dot)com, adam(at)onshore(dot)com, afdickey(at)intac(dot)com, aryeh(at)ironarmadillo(dot)com, bingalls(at)panix(dot)com, bko(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com, chaimf(at)pobox(dot)com, david(at)whizziwig(dot)com, davidi(at)aim-harpoon(dot)com, debian-mips(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org, den9001(at)nyp(dot)org, dfischer(at)provide(dot)net, dha(at)panix(dot)com, dio001(at)hotmail(dot)com, drs(at)cloud9(dot)net, felix(at)deasil(dot)com, friedberg(at)exs(dot)esb(dot)com, glenn(at)uniqsys(dot)com, irahnyc(at)onebox(dot)com, jong(at)ebi(dot)ac(dot)uk, kbandes(at)home(dot)com, matt(at)tempest(dot)com, mcgov(at)wildrockies(dot)org, mdfranz(at)txdirect(dot)net, mjp(at)vm(dot)com, myluck42(at)yahoo(dot)com, openhardware-request(at)openhardware(dot)org, perl6-porters(at)perl(dot)org, pfinke(at)sybase(dot)com, ruben(at)wynn(dot)com, schwaahed(at)yahoo(dot)com, schwern(at)pobox(dot)com, secretary(at)lxny(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, stanacc(at)stanacc(dot)com, steve(dot)mitchell(at)pobox(dot)com, voltemand(at)earthlink(dot)net
Subject: Perl SIG, First meeting Tue, Feb 22 6:00 @ IBM, 57th and Mad Ave
Date: 2000-02-11 18:43:46
Lists: spi-general

Hello Fellow Mongers and LINUX integrators!!

This is the official announcement of the PUNY SIG first meeting:
Tue Feb 22, 6:00 pm @ IBM, 57th and Madison Ave

Since my consulting corp, CXN, Inc., is a NYSIA member and all mongers and
linux sig members are automatically CXN associates you will not have to pay the
$20 fee.

Please, please email me first with your mailing address so I can send you some
attractive business cards.

The agenda is thus:
First, I will demonstrate the impossible, teaching newbies perl in 5 minutes !!

Then I will need mongers to volunteer to give short descriptions of how perl
helped them drive business model (loosely defined)

I will give a demo of my own engine, the DepthDB and its thinclient, Depth.cgi

The meeting will then be thrown open for feedback on future plans, sorta like a
democracy :)

The deeper agenda:
...or just look at the site:<a href=http://www.thinman.com/puny> PUNY </a>

PUNY is being carefully designed to meet a variety of perl and business needs:

* Our technology and philosophy is brought directly to business and the s/w
industry. With frequent open technical meetings we can meet people can assist
the creative growth of perl as well as understand how perl can help their own
operations; our contribution needs to be taken more seriously.

* Create an open venue to plan around such alarming issues as the DVD crisis,
refund-day, and the intellectual property laws. We can easily bring in experts
to detail how these issues directly affect the future of perl.

* Create workshops to bring in the physical layer in cooperation w/ the C++ Sig
and the educational system. Perl should, IMHO, be offered in the high schools
as an optional course and it should be a staple of normal government
administration.

Other important issues:
* Integrating EMACS a lot better, understanding where LISP fits in
* Method (rather than file) version control
* The prospect of seeing perl compete directly w/ java
* Perl on PDAs, replacing shell in unix, start looking at the new OSs
* Educating a new generation of porters in c++ and the pragmas
* Fine beers and single malts

The list actually goes on, and I have some grandiose plans for actual business
applications.

I should also mention that I am personally starting to feel familial bonds,
especially after YAPC, and that perl has a destiny and I will be really
depressed if gets sold short.

>From the geekcode:

"Perl combines the power of sh, the clarity of sed, and the performance of awk
with the simplicity of C. It should be banned"

See you there ( or actually email me first !! )

=====
John van Vlaanderen

http://im.yahoo.com