Re: Ties in Elections

From: Dale E Martin <dmartin(at)cliftonlabs(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ties in Elections
Date: 2003-02-07 12:23:42
Lists: spi-general

> > "none of the above" is no option in this elections. Is there any reason
> > it should have been?
>
> Well, I would say so, yes. It gives people a way to explicitly protest
> the entire ballot, or mark the entire slate of candidates as
> unacceptable.
>
> Though I think it's not very likely that a person would actually vote
> that way in this particular election, I don't know how important that
> is.

I think of it in terms of "I like these three people, and I prefer 'none of
the above' to the other two". As long as that's what not filling out the
entire ballot means I think we're OK. A corner case of this would be
turning in a blank ballot (or one where 'none of the above' was the only
choice.)

I don't want to start another huge discussion about voting mechanisms, but
I wanted to point out why "none of the above" could be a valid choice in
such an election.

Take care,
Dale
--