Re: By-law review

From: David Graham <cdlu(at)pkl(dot)net>
To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
Cc: David Graham <cdlu(at)pkl(dot)net>, spi-bylaws(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: By-law review
Date: 2003-02-22 00:47:23
Lists: spi-bylaws

John, no problem. I found it difficult to specify problems without
specifying solutions, but I've adapted Taral's summary.

Taral, thank you for summarising what I wrote so well.

I've added and changed a few items.

Issues by David Graham (cdlu):

* The membership should be able to recall board members or the entire
board. The membership committee's powers should be enumerated.
* Article 3: Replace "the status of contributing members" with
"contributing membership".
* Article 4 needs a complete rewrite.
* Quorum should be "ditched outright", or its restrictions loosened.
* If quorum has to be maintained, then proxy votes should be permitted.
* The membership should be able to force a board meeting.
* Quorum in membership voting should be replaced with a minimum time.
* Votes should have a "no opinion" option.
* Contributing members who fail to turn in any ballot at all should be
subject to membership committee review.
* Voting rules and procedure applicable to a particular vote should be
immutable once the voting period begins.
* A committe should be created to oversee, tally and announce votes by
the membership.
* Annual re-election of board members.
* Order of business doesn't belong in the bylaws.
* All references to numbers should be cleaned up to be consistent.
* Duplicate references to a number of issues should be removed.
* President's powers should be clarified/toned-down.
* Amendment section must specify contributing membership, and must
refer to immutability of sections 1 and 2.

David "cdlu" Graham cdlu(at)pkl(dot)net
Guelph, Ontario SMS: +1 519 760 1409