Re: SPI Workshop/Brainstorming Session at Debconf

From: David B Harris <david(at)eelf(dot)ddts(dot)net>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPI Workshop/Brainstorming Session at Debconf
Date: 2003-07-20 05:47:53
Lists: spi-general

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:33:57 -0700 (PDT)
bruce(at)perens(dot)com (Bruce Perens) wrote:
> From: David B Harris <david(at)eelf(dot)ddts(dot)net>
> > The only SPI-like organisatoin that I'm aware of that serves as a
> > repository for copyrighted works is the FSF, and I'm not terribly
> > impressed with how that has turned out.
>
> Well, FSF's problems have little to do with their role of recieving
> copyrights. They do get a lot of copyrights, seem willing to enforce
> them, and have so far succeeded in doing so without having to go to court.

No, but it does underline the flaws of a) indiscriminately assigning
copyright to an entity, and b) having one (or even very few) entities
which are getting those copyrights.

b) is the particular issue I'm interested in.

P.S.: Please note that I'm subscribed to the list, so in future you
don't need to send me copies of mail destined for the list :)