Re: Election results

From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
To: MJ Ray <mjr(at)phonecoop(dot)coop>
Cc: treasurer(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Election results
Date: 2007-08-08 16:18:25
Lists: spi-announce spi-general

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:48:18AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> > [...] For example, changes to the bylaws
> > themselves require a majority of *all* members, not just voting ones. [...]
>
> Ouch. It really does say just "members" not "contributing members".
> That seems like a major bug to me, so I guess drastic action to fix it
> is justified.

It also says that only contributing members are eligible to vote. If we
read it literally, which we probably should where it's not
self-contradictory since it is legally binding, this would mean that we
need to have a number of contributing members at least equal to
two-thirds of the combined contributing and non-contributing membership
approve the changes in the bylaws. I have no idea if this is even
possible, since we may or may not have too many non-contributing members
in relation to contributing members for this to be a theoretical option
without a major drive to recruit new and active contributing members,
and the bylaws state that non-contributing membership does not expire.

Then again, if there is no feasible way to amend the bylaws reading
everything literally, I encourage the current board to seek the advice
of Greg (our lawyer) on how best to get out of this mess in a legal and
ethical way.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org