Re: Multiple Affiliations

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple Affiliations
Date: 2007-10-23 17:09:35
Lists: spi-general

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 09:26:36AM +0100, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> "associated" with SPI in the sense used above, but for which SPI
> accepts earmarked donations and whose funds we spend out or forward to
> another non-profit as instructed by the project in question? The

I am not a tax expert, an accountant, or a lawyer, but if the
regulation exists, I expect it would be designed _precisely_ to
prevent this sort of activity. If I were the IRS, I would not want
my potential audit costs of non-profits to extend into audits of
_other_ non-profits to whom the first non-profit was forwarding
money. Indeed, that seems like the sort of shell game that would be
a boon to tax evaders and money launderers and such.

Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
--Damien Katz