Re: Debian trademark, EAN, proposed letter, SPI heads-up

From: Guillem Jover <guillem(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe <mengualjeanphi(at)free(dot)fr>, Chris Lamb <leader(at)debian(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, debian-project(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debian trademark, EAN, proposed letter, SPI heads-up
Date: 2017-08-31 15:11:32
Lists: spi-general

Hi!

On Thu, 2017-08-31 at 15:19:18 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Debian would like to sign, jointly with SPI, a letter stating that we
> do not intend to apply for EANs. A draft of the letter is below.

> === draft letter ===
[…]
> 4. Debian do not anticpate this situation changing in the next 2
> years. Specifically, we do not expect to be issuing EANs within the
> next 2 years.
[…]

> === email from trading platform support desk to a Debian vendor ===
>
> From: Support Vendeur ****
> To:***
> Subject: RE:[CASE ****] Demande de courrier
[…]
> You also need to prove a letter coming from your manufacturer that
> states those facts:
[…]
> -your manufacturer is not going to buy any EAN code during the 2 next
> years.
[…]

I'm not sure whether this is splitting hairs, but wouldn't issuing a
letter stating those 2 years make any similar request in the near
future that demands a 2 years span, require reissuing a new letter?
Perhaps it should be 3 or 4 years instead? One possible problem is that
this means we cannot change our minds for a "long" time if need be, but
I think there is indeed consensus that we'd not want to do that. But of
course with these things you never know what will happen in 1 year! :)

Thanks,
Guillem