Re: Resolution 2019-05-25.jrk.1: Removing Jenkins as associated project

From: Adrian Bunk <bunk(at)stusta(dot)de>
To: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, secretary(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resolution 2019-05-25.jrk.1: Removing Jenkins as associated project
Date: 2019-06-03 14:53:49
Lists: spi-general

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 12:15:53PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> But the final arrangements for the transfer, when they are known,
> should be put to the board for a confirmatory vote. At that point we
> will know exactly what the proposed transferee is and the SPI board
> (and indeed the membership) can decide whether it is an appropriate
> recipient - and its appropriateness might involve ethical or political
> questions as well as legal ones.
> While it may be lawful for SPI to transfer charitable assets to
> another charity which spends those charitable funds on
> legally-charitable purposes but at the direction of for-profit
> corporations, it is not clear to me that it is ethically appropriate
> for SPI to make such a transfer.

These are the assets of the associated project that are only held in
trust by SPI.

It would be unethical if the board or membership of SPI would refuse
a lawful transfer for political reasons.

It would also set a dangerous precedent if the personal opinions of
SPI members could result in withholding of assets from projects.

> Ian.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.