Re: [DRAFT] Treasurer's report for 2024-05

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DRAFT] Treasurer's report for 2024-05
Date: 2024-07-09 13:09:10
Lists: spi-general

* Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com> [2024-06-14 19:19]:
> === 0ad ===
>
> debit credit total
> 127.03 USD 0 -127.03 USD Expenses
> 15.17 USD 0 -15.17 USD Bank-Fees
> 111.86 USD 0 -111.86 USD IT:Hosting

The February and May reports contained an error, namely the IT hosting
expenses for both 0 A.D, and Wesnoth were allocated to 0 A.D. I've
updated the reports on the web site.

Background: we have scripts to import expenses such as this and
allocate them to projects. In the past, 0ad and Wesnoth were charged
to different bank accounts, making it easy to differentiate. A few
months ago this changed and they are charged to the same account
(similar amounts, similar dates), creating potential for confusion.
I am aware of this potential source of errors and try to pay attention
(but these two mistakes slipped through -- even thought I used the
right project in the description of the charge and linked to the
correct PDF invoice, I must have forgotten to change the project
earmark.)

Plans to avoid / reduce problems like this:

* Update the import script to take dates into consideration (since
these expenses are charged on different dates we can use that to
differentiate the project).

* Export transaction data and make data available to projects so
they can review and flag problems.

FWIW, during the preparation of the annual audit, I review
transactions for potential mistakes like these. I sometimes do this
for monthly reports but not always.
--
Martin Michlmayr
Contractor, Software in the Public Interest, Inc.