SPI using Google Apps?

From: Hilmar Lapp <hlapp(at)drycafe(dot)net>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: SPI using Google Apps?
Date: 2012-10-12 21:04:18
Lists: spi-general

I was wondering whether SPI, or an SPI-associated project is using Google Apps, i.e., has a Google Apps account, and if so, whether it's a Google Apps for Non-Profits account.

The reason I'm asking is that Google Apps for Non-Profts allows up to 3000 users at no cost, rather than 10 for an individual or "small business" account. However, there are stringent requirements to qualify as a non-profit [1], including having to be 501(c)3 certified. SPI obviously is, though my (admittedly limited) understanding is that its associated projects are not per se (or are they?). Google for Non-profits does have a clause for accommodating "branches" of "umbrella organizations" that "use a common EIN" [2]. I'm wondering whether this would indeed cover SPI-associated projects. (And to do so, SPI would presumably have to have a Google Apps account to start with, at least based on my reading of [2].)

Any information or input on this appreciated.

-hilmar

[1] http://www.google.com/nonprofits/join/ then scroll to "Are you eligible for Google for Nonprofits"
[2] http://support.google.com/nonprofits/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1699858

: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :