Re: Efficient board meetings, revised

From: Bruce Perens <bruce(at)perens(dot)com>
To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, board(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Efficient board meetings, revised
Date: 2004-10-15 20:42:56
Lists: spi-general

I think it's an excellent idea to empower committees to do more work,
rather than leave that work to the SPI board to micromanage. However, I
don't believe that SPI's board meetings are disfunctional.

It's difficult to get the attention of board members in little snips
across a whole month. They have committed to give you their full
attention for an hour a month, and that seems to work OK. We have made
quorum reliably except when there has been nothing on the agenda.

To give you a read of how this works elsewhere, my committment as a
director on for-profit boards is 100 hours per year per company. Any
more than that, and I would be paid at my full consulting rate.

I feel that the banter on SPI IRC board meetings is a natural part of
getting a bunch of somewhat hot-headed people together, and allows them
to blow off some of the agression that they would otherwise direct at
each other in more harmful ways.

Are you sure it's broken?

Thanks

Bruce