Re: How does SPI differ from SFC?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Michael Renzmann <mrenzmann(at)madwifi(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: How does SPI differ from SFC?
Date: 2007-09-25 15:55:14
Lists: spi-general

Michael Renzmann wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> First off: I hope that I managed to choose the right platform for my
> inquiry ;) In case I failed, please accept my appologies in advance and
> let me know who I should contact instead. Thanks.
>

> I'm one of the guys behind the MadWifi project [1]. We intend to
> incorporate as a non-profit now. Joining a non-profit umbrella such as the
> SPI or the SFC (Software Freedom Conservancy [2]) for that purpose is very
> appealing for us; we are all technical guys and we're thankful for every
> administrative task that we don't need to take care of.
>
> As far as I could find out by now, it seems to me that SPI and SFC offer
> pretty similar services to its members. One difference I can see is the
> option to accept (tax-deductible?) donations through partners in Germany,
> Italy and Canada (on SPI's side), while SFC so far "only" has accounts in
> the US. Are there other important differences that I might have missed?

I won't argue against SFC as they are only trying to do what we are
trying to do, which is to help FOSS sofware projects. What I will due is
point out our particular strengths.

* SPI has been around a long time. We have taken our lumps and have
learned and are continuing to learn from them.

* We have an active board that is continually looking for ways to help
our affiliated projects.

* We have some of the largest and well known FOSS software projects in
the world as affiliated projects (Debian, PostgreSQL, OpenOffice.Org,
FreeDesktop.org).

* The board conducts all non-confidential business on our -private list
for our contributing members to see and participate.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Director and SPI PostgreSQL Liaison

> What "unique selling point(s)" do you see for SPI in comparisson to the SFC?
>
> Bye, Mike
>
> [1] http://madwifi.org
> [2] http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL