Enquiry re joining the SPI

From: Toby Collett <tcollett+lists(at)plan9(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Enquiry re joining the SPI
Date: 2007-11-23 08:29:54
Lists: spi-general

Hi,
I am a developer with the Player Project (playerstage.sf.net), an open
source robotics framework. We are looking to move the project forward in
terms of its organisational structure and I have had many recommendation
against forming our own 'foundation' or legal entity for these purposes
citing time, cost and other complications. The logical alternative would
be for the project to join something along the lines of the SPI.

The player project has been in existence for several years now and has a
codebase that is widely used amoung research and academic facilities and
increasingly in commercial projects. The developers are of course
committed to open source, the core libraries are licensed under the LGPL
and the utilities and simulators are licensed under the GPL.

Does this sound like a project that would fit with SPI, and if so what
are the steps to becoming a member project?

Regards,
Toby Collett