Re: Code of Conduct at events

From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
To: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct at events
Date: 2010-11-10 17:03:01
Lists: spi-general

On 11/10/2010 10:35 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 11/10/10 16:11 , John Goerzen wrote:

>>> Amen. I would boycot events which try to be stricter than the law or
>>> which try to make themselves be a judge; there is too much room for
>>> error with possibly disastrous results.
>>
>> The law various from country to country, as does the effectiveness of
>> its enforcement. Do we find it acceptable to permit this sort of
>> behavior when conferences are held in countries that don't effectively
>> prohibit it?
>
> Yes. Do you want to pretend to enforce (part of) US law in other
> countries? That would be odd.

No, you misunderstand me.

What I'm saying is that there are certain behaviors that we should find
unacceptable at a conference, regardless of where it is held. What I'm
saying is that morality isn't, in practical terms, defined by legality.
If we consider it unethical for certain things to happen, then we need
to try to prevent them from happening everywhere. *How* we do that may
vary. Maybe in New York we call the cops, and in some other location we
simply make the person leave.

But the point is that if we hold a conference in a place where the law
protects women (or whomever) less, it is unethical for us to say "Well
here that's legal, so we won't do anything to stop it." We'd have an
obligation to step in and do what we can to stop it anyhow.

-- John