Re: Proposed: Funding Open Source Accounting software

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposed: Funding Open Source Accounting software
Date: 2013-05-03 19:04:32
Lists: spi-general

> As an example: wouldn't those money (+ a good deal of extra other) be
> better spent to pay a professional accountant than in this fund-raising
> initiative? I'm convinced that at SPI scale, that would make a real
> difference in the quality of service offered to affiliated projects.

If you look at last month's board meeting, you'll see a rather strident
proposal from me that we hire a new bookkeeper. I think we need to do
that *also*. I agree that that's more important than software we'll get
in a year. Fortunately, we have the money to do *both*.

One of the problems we encounter, though, is that most bookkeepers won't
deal with our wonky ad-hoc system. This puts a lot of ongoing burden on
the volunteer treasurer, and causes the bookkeeper so be less effective.

--Josh Berkus