Rectification of my last 2 mails to spi-general (membership)

From: Philippe Cloutier <chealer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Rectification of my last 2 mails to spi-general (membership)
Date: 2016-07-16 22:04:52
Lists: spi-general

Hi,
I just sent 2 mails to this list which claimed or suggested that I
became a SPI member yesterday after a delay of 1 year. If I understand
correctly, I was actually an SPI member since the day I applied
(2015-06-28). It is only the recognition of my contribution and the
obtainment of the associated powers which took so long.

Apologies for that

By the way, I find the term "Non-contributing member" poor. For example,
I have been contributing to SPI associated projects since before I
applied to become an SPI member. Yet, I was for a non-negligible time a
so-called "non-contributing member", until I applied to become a
contributing member. This terminology is misleading, and although
English is not my native language, it even seems distasteful to me to
refer to a member as a "non-contributing member" (even if that member is
actually not contributing).

It would seem better to simply distinguish "contributing members" from
members in general. If a specific term is needed for members who are not
recognized as contributing, perhaps "simple members", "unprivileged
members" or "non-voting members" would do, but I reckon this is
non-trivial (if we distinguish "non-voting members" from "voting
members", there is an implication that all "voting members"
(contributing members) exercise their voting privileges, which is
obviously wrong).