Re: Possible trademark infringement: Book cover

From: Julien BLACHE <jb(at)jblache(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible trademark infringement: Book cover
Date: 2008-03-12 20:04:23
Lists: spi-general

Ben Finney <ben(at)benfinney(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:

Hi,

> The book appears totally unrelated to Debian, but the logo strongly
> indicates otherwise. It appears to me that this an infringement of
> Debian's trademark in the logo.

The swirl logo was made out of a standard tool of some image
manipulation program (was it Corel Draw?), mapping a pre-defined
pattern over a swirl path.

I saw this exact same pattern mapped onto a another shape on the
packaging of an accounting software here (I can get scan of that in a
couple weeks if anybody is interested).

Unfortunately, the swirl is 0% original, hence it's not worth a lot as
a trademark.

Hopefully the official logo contains a bit more original work.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb(at)jblache(dot)org> GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169