Re: Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors

From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Sven Luther <luther(at)dpt-info(dot)u-strasbg(dot)fr>
Cc: Lukas Geyer <lukas(at)debian(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors
Date: 2003-02-22 20:35:13
Lists: spi-announce spi-bylaws spi-general

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 08:21:40PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Lukas Geyer wrote:
>> > This is not a dispute but just a clarification request. I see
>> > some votes which list only one option. As I understood the
>> > voting guidelines, this effectively amounts to abstaining.
>>
>> Correct.

> i thought the voting system would rank the 'default' option as
> lower than all the expressed votes and higher than all the
> non-expressed votes.

What default option?

> I even asked about this, and was told that it was so on this list,
> if i remember well.

Are you sure you did not do so on the debian voting list?

> So a vote with only one option (one candidate) should be a vote
> where this candidate rate higher than (defeats) all other
> candidates. How can that be similar to abstention ?

The way it works is that a vote for one candidate is ranks
that candidate higher than a non-existent default option, and other
candidates are unranked. So the vote did not cause the selected
candidate as winning over any other candidate.

I think the way it is set up is fine, since it allows people
to express I would prefer a over b, but I don't care whether the
others win or lose.

I would have thought the description of the voting mechanism
was clear about this, but obviously your mileage has varied.

manoj
--
Jim, it's Jack. I'm at the airport. I'm going to Tokyo and wanna pay
you the five-hundred I owe you. Catch you next year when I get back!