Re: Voting system R&D (Re: 2017 update to the SPI voting algorithm for Board elections)

From: "Barak A(dot) Pearlmutter" <barak(at)pearlmutter(dot)net>
To: Markus Schulze <markus(dot)schulze(at)alumni(dot)tu-berlin(dot)de>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Voting system R&D (Re: 2017 update to the SPI voting algorithm for Board elections)
Date: 2017-03-05 11:18:36
Lists: spi-general

On 4 March 2017 at 13:01, Markus Schulze
<markus(dot)schulze(at)alumni(dot)tu-berlin(dot)de> wrote:
> I recommend Schulze STV.

It is a very nice algorithm, which does about as well as any
polynomial-time algorithm could using rank ballots. It certainly
overcomes a lot of the practical pathologies in ScottishSTV or more
generally IRV-based STV systems.

I would agree that, assuming rank ballots, Schulze STV is the most
sensible choice.

If I were ranking them as fit-for-purpose in the current context, I'd rank

RRV > Schulze STV > ScottishSTV > Current System

If I wanted to be more informative, while using the entire dynamic
range, I'd say

RRV: 99
Schulze STV: 90
ScottishSTV: 50
Current System: 0

One issue with Schulze STV is that it is hard to explain to people who
are not mathematically sophisticated. That should not be a problem
here.

Cheers,

--Barak.