Re: Josh Berkus's platform on political activity, was: money handling

From: MJ Ray <mjr(at)phonecoop(dot)coop>
To: <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org>, <spi-private(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Josh Berkus's platform on political activity, was: money handling
Date: 2006-07-17 17:30:04
Lists: spi-general

Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> MJ,
> > These strident statements against political activity puzzle me.
> > Are you promising to oppose all political activity if elected?
> > How does that tie up with your manifesto promise to "represent
> > the views of the community"?
>
> Are you asking honestly, or are you simply trying to launch an
> unwarranted attack on me based on things I didn't say?

My question was honest, based on your statements "The problem
with engaging in any political activity is that it amounts
to a change of direction for SPI." and "I'm saying that we
would need buy-in from PostgreSQL, OVF, OFTC, Drupal, gnuStep,
etc. as member projects, *as well as* a majority of Debian
members before proceeding. On patents or any other issue
which doesn't fall under "sustain & support"." amongst others.

To me, that looked like you want any new political activities to
be approved by all associated projects - that would be another
change of direction for SPI. I'm undecided whether that's
desirable or not, or indeed if that's what you were suggesting,
so I ask:

1. Are you promising to oppose all political activity if elected?
2. How does that tie up with your manifesto promise to "represent
the views of the community"?
3. How is SPI doing something directing associated projects?
4. Should SPI work be blockable by any and every associated project?
5. Are you pledging to work to change [required votes] if elected?
6. If so, why is your voting reform plan not in your manifesto?

> As it is, I don't really feel like I can respond to your questions.
> They pretty much amount to "have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

Rubbish. I tried quite hard not to leave loaded questions.
I broke them down into two questions (1/2 and 5/6), as I don't
know whether what I inferred is what you meant. I left easy
ways to contradict my inferences if they're incorrect, such as
simple "No" answers to questions 1, 4 and 5.

To "dodge" questions by suggesting otherwise is disgraceful
politician behaviour IMO. Now rereading your manifesto afresh
with an eye suspicious of politicians, I notice you comment on
the tardiness of treasurer reports, but you haven't actually
promised to do anything better.

7. Would you "dodge" treasurer reports too, if elected as Treasurer?

Newsnightly,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/ irc.oftc.net/slef Jabber/SIP ask