Re: Multi-winner Condorcet, vs STV

From: "Barak A(dot) Pearlmutter" <barak(at)cs(dot)nuim(dot)ie>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Multi-winner Condorcet, vs STV
Date: 2009-12-10 21:15:11
Lists: spi-general

Ian is correct: using the top K Condorcet winners is a very poor
multiwinner election system, if the goal is to have proportional
representation.

Having studied this a bit, I would suggest that the best currently
available multiwinner election system for our purposes here, i.e., for
proportional representation, is Reweighted Range Voting, see

http://www.rangevoting.org/RRV.html

for details. Advantages: with RRV it is really simple to cast a valid
ballot, ballots can be quite expressive, it is easy to explain how to
vote, and it is quite simple to calculate the winners. The main
disadvantage (cannot do per-district tallying) is not a problem for us.

--Barak.