Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification

From: Will Lowe <harpo(at)UDel(dot)Edu>
To: Russell Nelson <nelson(at)crynwr(dot)com>
Cc: board(at)opensource(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification
Date: 1999-04-10 20:59:28
Lists: spi-general

> > Admitting your mistakes, your bugs, your design flaws, whatever is a key
> > element of free software development.
> You are absolutely right. That is how hackers do things. It's
> completely lacking in a business environment. If we were to be seen
> as hackers, we would get the same regard that hackers have always
> gotten: zero.

Hmm. Hackers got some pretty big regard with Mozilla, the first
time around. And the Halloween documents show some regard, too :). I
thought this whole thing was about 'them' (suits) coming to 'us'(1) (Free
Software), and not the other way around? Yeah, I understand the need to
meet in the middle, but still ... I don't want to play in their backyard.
They want to play in mine.

I'd say that at the recent rash of companies announcing "Open
Source" (or whatever) projects isn't a whole lot of regard for hackers.

It's a publicity stunt.

Will

(1) I'd like to acknowledge, for the record, that my contributions to the
world of free software (note no caps) are tiny (a few Debian packages,
mostly). I don't claim to speak for the hacker or free software community
at large.

| harpo(at)udel(dot)edu lowe(at)cis(dot)udel(dot)edu lowe(at)debian(dot)org |
| http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/ |
| PGP Public Key: http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey |