Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification

From: Will Lowe <harpo(at)UDel(dot)Edu>
To: bruce(at)perens(dot)com
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification
Date: 1999-04-10 21:18:16
Lists: spi-general

> The odious portions of the IBM and Apple licenses are mostly designed
> for liability protection for the deep-pockets defendant in the face of
> patent litigation and munitions export prosecution.

> About the only solution I can see is for the corporation to grant a
> non-exclusive copyright to the software to a non-profit organization
> like FSF or SPI that will take charge of the software's free
> distribution and stand as owner in the case of a lawsuit or prosecution,
> shielding the corporation from that liability.
But aren't the people who form the board of such an organization then
liable for the damages of such a legal suit?

Obviously, the problem is with the export restrictions and the patents
themselves, but I don't know how to fight those.

Will

| harpo(at)udel(dot)edu lowe(at)cis(dot)udel(dot)edu lowe(at)debian(dot)org |
| http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/ |
| PGP Public Key: http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey |