Re: Apple and Open Source

From: Jules Bean <jmlb2(at)hermes(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Richard Stallman <rms(at)gnu(dot)org>
Cc: knghtbrd(at)debian(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, debian-private(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org, bruce(at)hams(dot)com
Subject: Re: Apple and Open Source
Date: 1999-03-18 14:20:41
Lists: spi-general

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I believe that if we can get Eric to stop calling it Open Source when it
> ain't even close, we have a chance to convince Apple to play nice.
>
> IS Eric calling it "open source"? Has the Open Source Initiative said
> anything yet about this license? I would not expect them to endorse a
> license which does not give permission to distribute modified
> versions.
>
> I have sent mail to fetch a copy of the license so I can see what it
> says.

I'm afraid Eric is.

It says this in Apple's license FAQ.

Yesterday, SPI and Bruce Perens sent Apple a gentle open letter, welcoming
the move, but not proclaiming it OS.

http://perens.com/APSL.html

Today (at least, today in my personal time zone ;), Eric rebutted that, at

http://lwn.net/1999/0318/a/raymond.html

If I gather from the above that you don't have web access from where you
are, Richard, I'm happy to email you any/all of the above.

Jules

| Jelibean aka | jules(at)jellybean(dot)co(dot)uk | 6 Evelyn Rd |
| Jules aka | jules(at)debian(dot)org | Richmond, Surrey |
| Julian Bean | jmlb2(at)hermes(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk | TW9 2TF *UK* |
| War doesn't demonstrate who's right... just who's left. |
| When privacy is outlawed... only the outlaws have privacy. |