Re: Debian trademark, EAN, proposed letter, SPI heads-up

From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe <mengualjeanphi(at)free(dot)fr>
To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>, Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Chris Lamb <leader(at)debian(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, debian-project(at)lists(dot)debian(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debian trademark, EAN, proposed letter, SPI heads-up
Date: 2018-08-19 09:40:15
Lists: spi-general

Hi,

Here is the draft which had been proposed by Ian a long time ago, and
seemed accepted by the Debian staff:

Do yu need some special formatting/layout? iirc some small typo/wording
were changed, but the essential is here.

Regards

=== draft letter ===

RE DEBIAN - EUROPEAN ARTICLE NUMBER (EAN)

To Whom It May Concern

The Debian Project ("Debian") and Software In The Public Interest
Inc ("SPI") wish to make known that:

1. Debian, through its Trusted Organisations including SPI, owns and
controls the trademark "Debian" in various jurisdictions.

2. Debian does not provide European Article Numbers (EANs). Nor do
any of Debian's associated organisations do so on Debian's behalf.

3. Debian and SPI give public permission for products embodying
Debian's software and documentation to be sold, according to the
Debian Trademark Policy (which can be found at
https://www.debian.org/trademark). That policy does not make any
requirement about EANs. Therefore (provided the the policy is adhered
to) we have no objection to Debian branded products being sold without
EANs.

4. Debian do not anticpate this situation changing in the next 2
years. Specifically, we do not expect to be issuing EANs within the
next 2 years.

5. Please therefore allow vendors of Debian merchandise to trade,
notwithstanding any lack of EANs for those products.

6. This is without predjudice, of course, to our right to enforce our
trademarks against anyone found violating our trademark policy. We
are simply saying that lack of an EAN is, in itself, completely fine.

Signed

for the Debian Project for Software in the Public Intere

=== email from trading platform support desk to a Debian vendor ===

signature_jp_2
Logo Hypra JEAN-PHILIPPE MENGUAL
DIRECTEUR TECHNIQUE ET QUALITÉ
102, rue des poissonniers, 75018, Paris
Tel : +331 84 73 06 61 <tel:+33184730661> Mob : +336 76 34 93 37
<tel:+33676349337>
jpmengual(at)hypra(dot)fr <mailto:jpmengual(at)hypra(dot)fr>
www.hypra.fr <http://www.hypra.fr/>
Facebook Hypra <https://www.facebook.com/hyprasoftware/> Twitter Hypra
<https://twitter.com/Hypra_> Linkedin Jean-Philippe
<https://fr.linkedin.com/in/jean-philippe-mengual-800133135>