SPI + GNOME

Lists: spi-general
From: Jeff Waugh <jdub(at)perkypants(dot)org>
To: foundation-list(at)gnome(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: SPI + GNOME
Date: 2002-11-26 03:53:34
Lists: spi-general

Hi all,

Recent press has regarded SPI as a 'parent organisation' of GNOME, however
the relationship doesn't seem clear to me.

The SPI web page <http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/> lists GNOME as a
'project which SPI has chosen to support' and 'an umbrella organization for
projects from the community'. It lists "GNOME Project Leader -- Miguel de
Icaza <leader(at)gnome(dot)org>" no its Advisors list.

However the GNOME Foundation web page does not list SPI as a member of the
advisory board <http://foundation.gnome.org/advisory_board.html>, though
Debian, which is definitely helped along by SPI, is listed. It's not
mentioned on the Foundation website.

Just wondering if there's any continuning cooperation between the
organisations, and whether this information should be updated.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
"Science helps a lot, but people built perfectly good brick walls long
before they knew why cement works." - Alan Cox

From: Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer <branden+spi-treasurer(at)deadbeast(dot)net>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: foundation-list(at)gnome(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPI + GNOME
Date: 2002-11-26 16:41:28
Lists: spi-general

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:53:34PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Just wondering if there's any continuning cooperation between the
> organisations, and whether this information should be updated.

Here's my understanding:

While active cooperation has foundered a little bit between GNOME and
SPI, this is mostly due to inattention from the respective groups rather
than due to any sort of conflict.

Mails have been exchanged between the SPI Board of Directors and the
GNOME Foundation recently, and it is my understanding the the GNOME
Foundation intends to appoint a representative to the SPI Board once the
Foundation's current election cycle concludes.

Anyone who can correct or elaborate on the above, please do.

--
G. Branden Robinson | A committee is a life form with six
Debian GNU/Linux | or more legs and no brain.

From: Jeff Waugh <jdub(at)perkypants(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, foundation-list(at)gnome(dot)org
Date: 2002-11-26 17:42:14
Lists: spi-general

<quote who="Jonathan Blandford">

> Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer <branden+spi-treasurer(at)deadbeast(dot)net> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:53:34PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > Just wondering if there's any continuning cooperation between the
> > > organisations, and whether this information should be updated.
> >
> > Mails have been exchanged between the SPI Board of Directors and the
> > GNOME Foundation recently, and it is my understanding the the GNOME
> > Foundation intends to appoint a representative to the SPI Board once the
> > Foundation's current election cycle concludes.
> >
> > Anyone who can correct or elaborate on the above, please do.
>
> That about sums it up from the GNOME Foundation point of view. I expect
> that the next board to appoint a representative.

Great news, that rocks!

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
W.O.R.K: Weekend Over, Resume the Killings.

From: Jonathan Blandford <jrb(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: foundation-list(at)gnome(dot)org
Date: 2002-11-26 17:42:15
Lists: spi-general

Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer <branden+spi-treasurer(at)deadbeast(dot)net> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:53:34PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Just wondering if there's any continuning cooperation between the
> > organisations, and whether this information should be updated.
>
> Here's my understanding:
>
> While active cooperation has foundered a little bit between GNOME and
> SPI, this is mostly due to inattention from the respective groups rather
> than due to any sort of conflict.
>
> Mails have been exchanged between the SPI Board of Directors and the
> GNOME Foundation recently, and it is my understanding the the GNOME
> Foundation intends to appoint a representative to the SPI Board once the
> Foundation's current election cycle concludes.
>
> Anyone who can correct or elaborate on the above, please do.

That about sums it up from the GNOME Foundation point of view. I expect
that the next board to appoint a representative.

Thanks,
-Jonathan