Re: Board Appointee: Robert Treat Resolution 2008-01-24.jdd.1.1

Lists: spi-general
From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, treasurer(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-private(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, board(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Board Appointee: Robert Treat Resolution 2008-01-24.jdd.1.1
Date: 2008-01-25 17:15:58
Lists: spi-general

From: MJ Ray <mjr(at)phonecoop(dot)coop>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2008-01-28 23:09:40
Lists: spi-general

"Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote: [...]
> 1. It is interim. This motion is being submitted so the board can
> continue to operate until the next election. (We may not reliably meet
> quorum otherwise)

So if this is interim, the vacancy created by Josh Berkus will still
need filling according to the direction in Article Seven of
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/by-laws
and as the board agreed last meeting, right?

> 2. Robert Treat is not just some guy. He already works with the Board
> via the affiliated project PostgreSQL.

Why would Robert Treat be better than those who showed the willingness
and commitment to stand at the last election? There doesn't seem much
rationale with that motion.

Would being both an adviser and a board member be in conflict?

Regards,

From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
To: MJ Ray <mjr(at)phonecoop(dot)coop>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2008-01-28 23:25:30
Lists: spi-general

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:09:40PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Would being both an adviser and a board member be in conflict?

Based on lots of past precedent with people who were simultaneously DPL
and on the SPI board, this would not be in conflict. (DPL is Debian's
advisor, in the same sense as Robert Treat for PostgreSQL.) That said,
following the procedure agreed upon by the Joshua Drake and the rest of
the board at the January meeting is the way to go.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2008-01-29 17:54:44
Lists: spi-general

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 06:25:30PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 11:09:40PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Would being both an adviser and a board member be in conflict?
>
> Based on lots of past precedent with people who were simultaneously DPL
> and on the SPI board, this would not be in conflict.

I seem to recall that the PostgreSQL Funding Group had a convention (but I
can't remember whether it's a rule) that the same people wouldn't be
involved in both. But this doesn't affect the SPI decision anyway.