Re: Removal of MadWifi as an associated project

Lists: spi-general
From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Removal of MadWifi as an associated project
Date: 2017-08-13 08:35:14
Lists: spi-general

Proposed resolution:

WHEREAS

1. MadWifi became an associated project of SPI in 2008.

2. The goal of the MadWifi project was to coordinate development of the
Atheros drivers for Linux.

3. The MadWifi driver has been obsoleted by ath5k and ath9k, which are both
part of the Linux kernel now. Development of these drivers is taken care
of by the Linux kernel programmers.

4. The MadWifi project is no longer active.

5. Donations to the MadWifi project were made to improve Atheros and
wireless support for Linux.

5. The MadWifi project has voted to transfer its fund held by SPI to the
OpenWrt project. OpenWrt performs significant work on improving wireless
support for linux.

6. While the MadWifi project is no longer active, they would like to
preserve the domain name and web site for historical purposes.

THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT

1. MadWifi will be removed as an SPI Associated Project.

2. SPI will keep ownership of the madwifi-project.org domain name.

3. All funds held on behalf of MadWifi will be transferred to the OpenWrt
earmark held by SPI.

4. SPI will no longer actively seek donations on behalf of MadWifi.

5. Any future donations received for MadWifi will be earmarked for OpenWrt.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

From: Peter Cock <p(dot)j(dot)a(dot)cock(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Removal of MadWifi as an associated project
Date: 2017-08-14 09:49:39
Lists: spi-general

Should some of the funds be kept back for future domain renewal
fees, or are those covered from the ongoing SPI income?

Peter

From: Michael Schultheiss <schultmc(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
To: Peter Cock <p(dot)j(dot)a(dot)cock(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2017-08-14 17:29:48
Lists: spi-general

The domain names are currently sponsored by our domain registrar. I do
know that they prefer sponsored domains to be actively used.

Peter Cock wrote:
> Should some of the funds be kept back for future domain renewal
> fees, or are those covered from the ongoing SPI income?
>
> Peter
>
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com> wrote:
> > Proposed resolution:
> >
> > WHEREAS
> >
> > 1. MadWifi became an associated project of SPI in 2008.
> >
> > 2. The goal of the MadWifi project was to coordinate development of the
> > Atheros drivers for Linux.
> >
> > 3. The MadWifi driver has been obsoleted by ath5k and ath9k, which are both
> > part of the Linux kernel now. Development of these drivers is taken care
> > of by the Linux kernel programmers.
> >
> > 4. The MadWifi project is no longer active.
> >
> > 5. Donations to the MadWifi project were made to improve Atheros and
> > wireless support for Linux.
> >
> > 5. The MadWifi project has voted to transfer its fund held by SPI to the
> > OpenWrt project. OpenWrt performs significant work on improving wireless
> > support for linux.
> >
> > 6. While the MadWifi project is no longer active, they would like to
> > preserve the domain name and web site for historical purposes.
> >
> > THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT
> >
> > 1. MadWifi will be removed as an SPI Associated Project.
> >
> > 2. SPI will keep ownership of the madwifi-project.org domain name.
> >
> > 3. All funds held on behalf of MadWifi will be transferred to the OpenWrt
> > earmark held by SPI.
> >
> > 4. SPI will no longer actively seek donations on behalf of MadWifi.
> >
> > 5. Any future donations received for MadWifi will be earmarked for OpenWrt.
> >
> > --
> > Martin Michlmayr
> > http://www.cyrius.com/

----------------------------
Michael Schultheiss
E-mail: schultmc(at)spi-inc(dot)org

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: Peter Cock <p(dot)j(dot)a(dot)cock(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2017-08-15 11:53:43
Lists: spi-general

* Peter Cock <p(dot)j(dot)a(dot)cock(at)googlemail(dot)com> [2017-08-14 10:49]:
> Should some of the funds be kept back for future domain renewal
> fees, or are those covered from the ongoing SPI income?

It's not very obvious but that's why I put the renewal of the domain
before the transfer of the funds, i.e. we'd renew the domain and pay
(if needed [*]) and then transfer the remaining funds.

[*] SPI gets some free domain renewals.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2017-08-15 14:43:56
Lists: spi-general

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Peter Cock <p(dot)j(dot)a(dot)cock(at)googlemail(dot)com> [2017-08-14 10:49]:
> > Should some of the funds be kept back for future domain renewal
> > fees, or are those covered from the ongoing SPI income?
>
> It's not very obvious but that's why I put the renewal of the domain
> before the transfer of the funds, i.e. we'd renew the domain and pay
> (if needed [*]) and then transfer the remaining funds.

Surely SPI needs to renew the domain on an ongoing basis -- basically
forever -- not just one time. It seems like there ought the be clauses
somewhere specifying that SPI should continue to do this, or that
MadWifi has the authority to tell SPI to do so. (How? they'd not be an
associated project anymore.) What if eventually MadWifi as a project
decides to get the domain back for whatever reason? Is it possible for
SPI to decide to give it back?

I think holding onto the domain is a complicated business.

--
Álvaro Herrera

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2017-08-15 14:51:41
Lists: spi-general

* Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> [2017-08-15 11:43]:
> Surely SPI needs to renew the domain on an ongoing basis -- basically
> forever -- not just one time.

SPI could just renew it now for 10 years (or 20 or 50 or whatever
makes sense) - and let it expire when nobody cares about it anymore
(except historians, but there's always archive.org).

> It seems like there ought the be clauses somewhere specifying that
> SPI should continue to do this, or that MadWifi has the authority to
> tell SPI to do so. (How? they'd not be an associated project
> anymore.) What if eventually MadWifi as a project decides to get
> the domain back for whatever reason? Is it possible for SPI to
> decide to give it back?

These are very good points. I didn't propose the resolution in the
meeting we had yesterday because the question of domain ownership
needs to be clarified.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2017-08-30 14:48:48
Lists: spi-general

Martin Michlmayr writes ("Re: Removal of MadWifi as an associated project"):
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> [2017-08-15 11:43]:
> > It seems like there ought the be clauses somewhere specifying that
> > SPI should continue to do this, or that MadWifi has the authority to
> > tell SPI to do so. (How? they'd not be an associated project
> > anymore.) What if eventually MadWifi as a project decides to get
> > the domain back for whatever reason? Is it possible for SPI to
> > decide to give it back?
>
> These are very good points. I didn't propose the resolution in the
> meeting we had yesterday because the question of domain ownership
> needs to be clarified.

Why don't we explictly state that we regard all the assets, not just
money, that were earmarked for Madwifi, as belonging to OpenWRT ?
I think that should be the general form of such a transfer resolution
as it automatically deals with all the loose ends.

How about this.

NB that the clause in "WHEREAS (7)" needs someone from OpenWRT to say
"yes" ! We shouldn't be nonconsensually giving people responsibility
for things...

Ian.

WHEREAS

1. MadWifi became an associated project of SPI in 2008.

2. The goal of the MadWifi project was to coordinate development of
the Atheros drivers for Linux.

3. The MadWifi driver has been obsoleted by ath5k and ath9k, which are
both part of the Linux kernel now. Development of these drivers is
taken care of by the Linux kernel programmers.

4. The MadWifi project is no longer active.

5. Donations to the MadWifi project were made to improve Atheros and
wireless support for Linux.

5. The MadWifi project has voted to transfer its fund held by SPI to
the OpenWrt project. OpenWrt performs significant work on
improving wireless support for linux.

6. While the MadWifi project is no longer active, they would like to
preserve the domain name and web site for historical purposes.

7. The OpenWRT project has agreed to take on stewardship of the assets
previously intended for MadWifi. The OpenWRT project has confirmed
that it intends to preserve the MadWifi domain name(s) and
website(s) indefinitely.

THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT

1. MadWifi will be removed as an SPI Associated Project.

2. SPI will no longer actively seek donations on behalf of MadWifi.

3. All assets, including (without limitation) money, domain names, and
any future donations, held by SPI on behalf of MadWifi, will
henceforth be held on behalf of OpenWRT.

4. This is subject to any undischarged obligations MadWifi may have.
We are not aware of any such undischarged obligations. We ask
anyone who is aware of any to notify us within 30 days of this
resolution.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2017-09-11 11:51:33
Lists: spi-general

* Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk> [2017-08-30 15:48]:
> Why don't we explictly state that we regard all the assets, not just
> money, that were earmarked for Madwifi, as belonging to OpenWRT ?
> I think that should be the general form of such a transfer resolution
> as it automatically deals with all the loose ends.

I like this idea!

The Madwifi liaison is away for a few weeks now but I'll discuss this
when he's back.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2018-01-19 08:57:36
Lists: spi-general

* Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com> [2017-09-11 13:51]:
> * Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk> [2017-08-30 15:48]:
> > Why don't we explictly state that we regard all the assets, not just
> > money, that were earmarked for Madwifi, as belonging to OpenWRT ?
> > I think that should be the general form of such a transfer resolution
> > as it automatically deals with all the loose ends.
>
> I like this idea!
>
> The Madwifi liaison is away for a few weeks now but I'll discuss this
> when he's back.

Just as an update, I haven't heard from our Madwifi contact yet but
Ian's proposal is what I'm recommending.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Michael Renzmann <mrenzmann(at)madwifi-project(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2018-07-09 15:43:57
Lists: spi-general

[ revisiting thread from 2017 ]

* Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk> [2017-08-30 15:48]:
> Why don't we explictly state that we regard all the assets, not just
> money, that were earmarked for Madwifi, as belonging to OpenWRT ?
> I think that should be the general form of such a transfer resolution
> as it automatically deals with all the loose ends.

I liked Ian's idea and proposed this to the Madwifi developers.
Michael Renzmann consulted the team and there were no objections.

I'd therefore like to propose the following resolution for the August
meeting:

Removal of MadWifi as an associated project

WHEREAS

1. MadWifi became an associated project of SPI in 2008.

2. The goal of the MadWifi project was to coordinate development of
the Atheros drivers for Linux.

3. The MadWifi driver has been obsoleted by ath5k and ath9k, which are
both part of the Linux kernel now. Development of these drivers is
taken care of by the Linux kernel programmers.

4. The MadWifi project is no longer active.

5. Donations to the MadWifi project were made to improve Atheros and
wireless support for Linux.

5. The MadWifi project has voted to transfer its assets held by SPI
to the OpenWrt project. OpenWrt performs significant work on
improving wireless support for Linux.

6. While the MadWifi project is no longer active, they would like to
preserve the domain name and web site for historical purposes.

7. The OpenWrt project has agreed to take on stewardship of the assets
previously intended for MadWifi. The OpenWrt project has confirmed
that it intends to preserve the MadWifi domain name(s) and
website(s) as long as they are deemed relevant.

https://www.cyrius.com/

From: "R(dot) Tyler Croy" <tyler(at)monkeypox(dot)org>
To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, Michael Renzmann <mrenzmann(at)madwifi-project(dot)org>, Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
Date: 2018-07-09 15:51:48
Lists: spi-general

Looks good to me and seems like a suitable retirement for MadWifi :)