Debian as an Associate Member of the OpenInfra Foundation

Lists: spi-general
From: Jeremy Stanley <fungi(at)yuggoth(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Debian as an Associate Member of the OpenInfra Foundation
Date: 2021-12-10 18:50:10
Lists: spi-general

Early in the history of the OpenStack Project, Debian became a
Supporting Organization of the OpenStack Foundation. As I understand
it, Bdale Garbee (one of the SPI Directors at the time) signed a
logo agreement so that Debian could be included in the Supporting
Organizations list of the openstack.org Web site. Debian continues
to hold the distinction of being the only community-maintained
OpenStack distribution included in the OpenStack "Marketplace" at
https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/distros/ (all the others
listed are backed by member companies of the foundation).

In an effort to increase accountability to its members and board of
directors for outreach activities involving other non-profit
organizations, as well as strengthen cross-organizational
relationships, the Open Infrastructure Foundation (formerly
OpenStack Foundation) has recently created a new non-paying
Associate Member organization class. As such, I'm writing to inquire
into the possibility of having Debian (or SPI on Debian's behalf)
become an Associate Member of the Open Infrastructure Foundation.

The process would be similar to that of the logo agreement signed
some years ago; there's no obligation for Debian or SPI, it's merely
a gratis extension of member organization benefits by the Open
Infrastructure Foundation to the Debian project and community,
including continued representation in the OpenStack Marketplace. I
brought this up with Debian Developers Thomas Goirand and Michal
Arbet (maintainers for most of the OpenStack packages in Debian) in
the #debian-openstack channel on OFTC last week, and they seemed
supportive of the idea, suggesting the next step was probably to
raise the topic here on SPI's general mailing list.

I know from the Organizational Structure page on the Debian site
that the project is already a member of similar organizations like
the GNOME Foundation and OSI. There are many DDs with prominent
leadership roles in the OpenStack project and Open Infrastructure
Foundation, present and past (including project team leaders,
technical committee members, foundation directors, even the current
chairperson for the board of directors is a DD), so I can almost
certainly get one or more of them to volunteer to serve as a liaison
given I'm not personally a contributing member of SPI (not yet, at
any rate).

Am I asking in the right place? Are there any initial concerns with
the proposal? And what would the next steps be? For reference, here
are more details on Associate Membership (I can also supply a copy
of the agreement text here on-list for review if that's preferable):

--
Jeremy Stanley, Open Infrastructure Foundation Staff

From: "Chris Lamb" <chris(dot)lamb(at)opensource(dot)org>
To: "Jeremy Stanley" <fungi(at)yuggoth(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2021-12-10 19:14:58
Lists: spi-general

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your detailed mail.

> Am I asking in the right place? Are there any initial concerns with
> the proposal? And what would the next steps be? For reference, here
> are more details on Associate Membership (I can also supply a copy
> of the agreement text here on-list for review if that's preferable):

I think the next steps might be (a) seeing the agreement text on-list
(as you suggest) and then (b) looping in any Debian folks
significantly involved in OpenStack so that they have an opportunity
to comment. Sounds good to me though.

Best wishes,

--
Chris Lamb
Open Source Initiative

From: Jeremy Stanley <fungi(at)yuggoth(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2021-12-10 19:59:34
Lists: spi-general

On 2021-12-10 11:14:58 -0800 (-0800), Chris Lamb wrote:
[...]
> I think the next steps might be (a) seeing the agreement text
> on-list (as you suggest) and then (b) looping in any Debian folks
> significantly involved in OpenStack so that they have an
> opportunity to comment. Sounds good to me though.

Thanks for the prompt followup! The text of the agreement is quoted
below, sans the signature block (the original is a PDF, I won't
attempt to subject everyone's MTAs to that), so that anyone can
raise concerns they may have with it. I'm also separately giving any
interested Debian Developers I know involved in OpenStack and the
OpenInfra Foundation a heads up so they'll hopefully chime in with
feedback, as I'm unsure how many of them actively follow
spi-general.

--
Jeremy Stanley, Open Infrastructure Foundation Staff

From: Thomas Goirand <thomas(at)goirand(dot)fr>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2021-12-11 17:39:55
Lists: spi-general

On 12/10/21 7:50 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> The process would be similar to that of the logo agreement signed
> some years ago; there's no obligation for Debian or SPI, it's merely
> a gratis extension of member organization benefits by the Open
> Infrastructure Foundation to the Debian project and community,
> including continued representation in the OpenStack Marketplace. I
> brought this up with Debian Developers Thomas Goirand and Michal
> Arbet (maintainers for most of the OpenStack packages in Debian) in
> the #debian-openstack channel on OFTC last week, and they seemed
> supportive of the idea, suggesting the next step was probably to
> raise the topic here on SPI's general mailing list.

I am hereby confirming this fact: I'm very glad Jeremy is taking this
initiative, and would love if there was more things done by the Debian
publicly team to increase the visibility of OpenStack on Debian.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

From: Jeremy Stanley <fungi(at)yuggoth(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2022-03-28 15:58:02
Lists: spi-general

On 2021-12-10 19:59:33 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> I'm also separately giving any interested Debian Developers I know
> involved in OpenStack and the OpenInfra Foundation a heads up so
> they'll hopefully chime in with feedback, as I'm unsure how many
> of them actively follow spi-general.
[...]

Picking this back up from December, the thread garnered replies in
support from Debian Developers Thomas Goirand (a maintainer of the
OpenStack packages in Debian) and Allison Randal (an elected
individual director on the board of the OpenInfra Foundation). In
the meantime, I've also been granted contributing member status in
SPI and am happy to serve as a liaison between both organizations if
that helps.

What are the next steps for the proposal? Should I try to elicit
more feedback to the mailing list? Or is more information about the
foundation or its associate membership desired? Will I need to add
it to the SPI board meeting agenda for approval (I understand that
today's meeting is probably short notice, but perhaps April's)?

Also, it may be useful to point out a bit more background on
Debian's relevance to some of the other projects represented by the
OpenInfra Foundation besides OpenStack:

StarlingX is an "edge computing" focused GNU/Linux distribution.
Previously it was a Red Hat derivative, but their community decided
to pivot and redo their next major release as a Debian derivative
instead. They've been working with upstream project developers in
the various subsystems they've previously had to patch/fork in order
to whittle away at their divergence, with the hope of getting as
close as possible to eventually being a Debian Pure-Blend.

The OpenDev Collaboratory, a community-run development hosting
service, provides minimal Debian-based virtual machines in its CI
system in order for projects to be able to test that changes to
their software will work on Debian. OpenDev's sysadmins are also the
primary upstream developers for a number of upstream projects
included in Debian, such as the git-review client, or the
python3-gear and python3-gerritlib libraries.

The Zuul "project gating" and CI/CD software, while not yet packaged
in Debian itself, supports the use of Debian as a test platform in
its standard jobs library, and tests all of its changes on Debian
(as well as on other distributions of course). Its published
container images are also built on the Python community's base
images, which are in turn built from the semi-official Debian
container images.

Thanks as always for your feedback and assistance.
--
Jeremy Stanley, Open Infrastructure Foundation Staff