SPI board of directors for 2019

Lists: spi-announcespi-general
From: Tim Potter <tpot(at)frungy(dot)org>
To: spi-announce(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: SPI board of directors for 2019
Date: 2019-08-01 23:31:20
Lists: spi-announce spi-general

Hi everyone. The results are in for the selection of new board of directors members for the SPI. There were exactly the number of nominations as positions so no elections will be held.

I would like to announce the following people have been appointed or re-appointed to the board:

* Forrest Fleming
* Chris Lamb
* Héctor Oron
* Tim Potter

The board wishes to thank Renee Phillips and R. Tyler Croy for their service as interim directors.

Tim.

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: Tim Potter <tpot(at)frungy(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPI board of directors for 2019
Date: 2019-08-01 23:47:33
Lists: spi-announce spi-general

* Tim Potter <tpot(at)frungy(dot)org> [2019-08-02 09:31]:
> I would like to announce the following people have been appointed or re-appointed to the board:
>
> * Forrest Fleming
> * Chris Lamb
> * Héctor Oron
> * Tim Potter
>
> The board wishes to thank Renee Phillips and R. Tyler Croy for their service as interim directors.

Tyler wasn't on the board at this time (he was interim in the past);
that should be Dimitri John Ledkov.

But more to the point, it seems that the terms of Jimmy Kaplowitz and
Martin Zobel-Helas ended. Jimmy served as President recently and
Martin has done *a ton* over work over the years (a lot of it behind
the scenes, so people are not aware of the amount but it's been a
lot!). They should be thanked as well.

Actually, the numbers don't add up if I'm not mistaken...

If you look at "last elected" at http://spi-inc.org/meetings/minutes/2019/2019-07-08/
and look for "July 2016" (3 years ago), you see Jimmy, Tim and Martin. And there were
two interim directors (Renee and Dimitri).

So it seems there were 5 slots but only 4 appointments.

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/

From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
To: spi-announce(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2019-08-05 17:53:20
Lists: spi-announce spi-general

Hi everyone,

On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 09:31:20AM +1000, Tim Potter wrote:
> Hi everyone. The results are in for the selection of new board of directors members for the SPI. There were exactly the number of nominations as positions so no elections will be held.
>
> I would like to announce the following people have been appointed or re-appointed to the board:
>
> * Forrest Fleming
> * Chris Lamb
> * Héctor Oron
> * Tim Potter
>
> The board wishes to thank Renee Phillips and R. Tyler Croy for their service as interim directors.

A few brief additions to the above results: Martin Zobel-Helas sought
another term and is therefore re-appointed to the board; I declined to
seek another term, and I am therefore no longer an SPI director.

I remain SPI President for now despite not being a director until a
replacement is chosen or until I explicitly resign from that role. The
new board is expecting to elect its 2019-2020 officers, which will
include a replacement President, at its August 12th board meeting.

Please rest assured that my departure is not a protest of any kind, and
is simply due to the increased demands of the rest of my life. I wish
SPI only the best.

- Jimmy Kaplwitz
jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org

From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, Tim Potter <tpot(at)frungy(dot)org>
Date: 2019-08-05 17:57:22
Lists: spi-announce spi-general

On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 01:47:33AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Tyler wasn't on the board at this time (he was interim in the past);
> that should be Dimitri John Ledkov.

Good point! Thanks indeed to Dimitri for his interim service, which
ended with these election results.

> But more to the point, it seems that the terms of Jimmy Kaplowitz and
> Martin Zobel-Helas ended. Jimmy served as President recently and
> Martin has done *a ton* over work over the years (a lot of it behind
> the scenes, so people are not aware of the amount but it's been a
> lot!). They should be thanked as well.
>
> Actually, the numbers don't add up if I'm not mistaken...
[...]
> So it seems there were 5 slots but only 4 appointments.

You're right to notice a discrepancy. I've just clarified to -announce.
TL;DR I am no longer a director but Martin Zobel-Helas remains on the
board. (I remain President for now.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org

From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm(at)cyrius(dot)com>
To: Tim Potter <tpot(at)frungy(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2019-09-17 07:41:47
Lists: spi-announce spi-general

I noticed a problem with the 2019 election: Tim Potter's term didn't
expire this year; instead it will expire next year.

Tim was elected in 2017 and terms are 3 years (i.e. until 2020):
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/votes/2017-board-election/

This was correct in the minute up to July 2018:
http://www.spi-inc.org/meetings/minutes/2018/2018-07-09/
July 2017 Tim Potter

It's incorrect starting with the August 2018 minutes:
http://www.spi-inc.org/meetings/minutes/2018/2018-08-13/
July 2016 Tim Potter Secretary

I believe this happened because Valerie, who had been secretary
before Tim took over in August 2018, was elected in July 2016.
So Valerie's name in the table was replaced with Tim's, but the
election info was not updated.

Impact: since there were only as many candidates as available
positions, it has not impact on who was appointed as director in 2019.

In my view, Tim was incorrectly appointed in 2019. His term should
expire in 2020 when he can run for re-election.

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/