Re: mailing list hosting for SPI projects [rt.spi-inc.org #309]

Lists: spi-general
From: Hilmar Lapp <hlapp(at)drycafe(dot)net>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2013-11-22 02:06:06
Lists: spi-general

Is hosting of mailing lists (mailman specifically, or other list software that can import from mailman) a service that SPI provides for associated projects? If so, how do I go about requesting/initiating that?

I'm also curious how and where other SPI projects host their mailing lists. One thing we've had in mind is AWS, but if SPI provides this service at less or no cost, that would of course be a big help.

-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :

From: Robert Brockway <robert(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
To: Hilmar Lapp <hlapp(at)drycafe(dot)net>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, SPI General RT Queue <general(at)rt(dot)spi-inc(dot)org>
Date: 2013-11-22 04:18:43
Lists: spi-general

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> We (OBF) run a number of mailing lists
> (http://lists.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo), on a server that's long
> overdue to be decommissioned. We've been meaning to migrate off of it
> for a while.
>
> Is hosting of mailing lists (mailman specifically, or other list
> software that can import from mailman) a service that SPI provides for
> associated projects? If so, how do I go about requesting/initiating
> that?

Hi Hilmar. I think you did just request it ;)

I'm not aware of any cases of SPI having provided lists in the past.

I'd be happy to see SPI offer a service like that as long as it is
practical for us to do so. I will defer to our sysadmin team on that.

Could you provide some data:

(1) An estimate of the number of lists? The link above showed around 50
lists but you might have hidden lists.

(2) The total volume of messages that would pass through the lists per
day? It doesn't have to be an exact figure.

As an individual director I cannot speak for SPI, so this is just a
personal opinion. Only the board or certain officers can do that.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Director, Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Email: robert(at)spi-inc(dot)org Linux counter ID #16440

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Brockway <robert(at)spi-inc(dot)org>, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp(at)drycafe(dot)net>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, SPI General RT Queue <general(at)rt(dot)spi-inc(dot)org>
Date: 2013-11-22 13:34:41
Lists: spi-general

On 11/21/2013 08:18 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:

> As an individual director I cannot speak for SPI, so this is just a
> personal opinion. Only the board or certain officers can do that.

I am not opposed to this but I think spi should have a specific domain
for this like spiprojects.org or something like that.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc

From: Peter Cock <p(dot)j(dot)a(dot)cock(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: SPI General RT Queue <general(at)rt(dot)spi-inc(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2013-11-22 13:55:28
Lists: spi-general

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 08:18 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:
>
>> As an individual director I cannot speak for SPI, so this is just a
>> personal opinion. Only the board or certain officers can do that.
>
> I am not opposed to this but I think spi should have a specific domain for
> this like spiprojects.org or something like that.
>
> JD

Or use existing (sub)domains owned by the individual projects?
e.g. lists.open-bio.org in this case runs the mailing lists for the
OBF, http://lists.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo

Peter
(OBF board member)

From: Hilmar Lapp <hlapp(at)drycafe(dot)net>
To: Peter Cock <p(dot)j(dot)a(dot)cock(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: SPI General RT Queue <general(at)rt(dot)spi-inc(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2013-11-22 14:18:03
Lists: spi-general

Correct. We would actually have a subdomain (that we'd like to keep using). Perhaps it's not unreasonable to expect that all associated projects would, or would be able to create one?

-hilmar

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2013-11-22 17:20:09
Lists: spi-general

On 11/21/2013 08:18 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>
>> We (OBF) run a number of mailing lists
>> (http://lists.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo), on a server that's long
>> overdue to be decommissioned. We've been meaning to migrate off of it
>> for a while.
>>
>> Is hosting of mailing lists (mailman specifically, or other list
>> software that can import from mailman) a service that SPI provides for
>> associated projects? If so, how do I go about requesting/initiating that?

Do note that Open Source Labs hosts mailing lists for OSS projects.

--Josh Berkus

From: Joerg Jaspert <joerg(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Robert Brockway <robert(at)spi-inc(dot)org>
Cc: SPI General RT Queue <general(at)rt(dot)spi-inc(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2013-11-22 17:45:40
Lists: spi-general

On 13403 March 1977, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I'm not aware of any cases of SPI having provided lists in the past.

Wrong. Fresco ha(s|d).

--
bye, Joerg
Das Ding heißt zwar Laptop, aber das sollte man so wörtlich nicht nehmen. Ein

From: Joerg Jaspert <joerg(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Hilmar Lapp <hlapp(at)drycafe(dot)net>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2013-11-22 17:49:45
Lists: spi-general

On 13403 March 1977, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Is hosting of mailing lists (mailman specifically, or other list
> software that can import from mailman) a service that SPI provides for
> associated projects?

Provided the project does the daily admin work (say, moderation) of it.

> If so, how do I go about requesting/initiating that?

RT Ticket (which Robert generated for you).

> I'm also curious how and where other SPI projects host their mailing
> lists. One thing we've had in mind is AWS, but if SPI provides this
> service at less or no cost, that would of course be a big help.

Depends on the project. Fresco ha(sd) them with SPI, Debian and others
do run an own big service (and we wouldn't want to get near that).

For SPI: We can provide the pure resources to run the lists, provided
that its within a subdomain of the project (your list, your domain) and
as said above the project does the daily work. SPI retains the right to
do emergency maintenance work, but for the usual running we don't want
to be involved.

--
bye, Joerg
<dilinger> i just managed to procrastinate an extra 30 mins by reading

From: Hilmar Lapp <hlapp(at)drycafe(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2013-11-22 18:16:02
Lists: spi-general

On Nov 22, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 08:18 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>>
>>> We (OBF) run a number of mailing lists
>>> (http://lists.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo), on a server that's long
>>> overdue to be decommissioned. We've been meaning to migrate off of it
>>> for a while.
>>>
>>> Is hosting of mailing lists (mailman specifically, or other list
>>> software that can import from mailman) a service that SPI provides for
>>> associated projects? If so, how do I go about requesting/initiating that?
>
> Do note that Open Source Labs hosts mailing lists for OSS projects.

Right. However, since we have an existing relationship with SPI :-) I thought that's where I should start. I wouldn't find it unreasonable if SPI's position is not to host lists other than for itself, or if SPI partnered with OSL, so that OSL would offer this service for SPI associated projects.

If, however, SPI does provide this service for SPI projects, I'm inclined to take the offer. The expectations Joerg mentioned fully align with ours, and so that would meet our goal of moving our lists to more stable infrastructure.