Re: Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, leader(at)debian(dot)org, secretary(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status
Date: 2007-03-06 13:16:45
Lists: spi-general

Joshua D. Drake writes ("Re: Draft resolution formalising Debian's Associated Project status"):
> Does the Debian constitution have a limits on what his authority
> represents?

Yes. For example:
- The DPL is not empowered to make technical decisions
- The DPL is not empowered to unilaterally expel Developers
- Any decision by the DPL can be overruled by a vote

This list is not exhaustive. The DPL has only the powers explictly
enumerated. You can read the constitution here:
http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution

> Further my experience is that if 15% of a particular group is unhappy,
> usually the person made a good choice. 40%? Not so much.

If I were the DPL I would consider my position very carefully if a
recall petition even got enough signatures to go to a ballot.

To put this in terms you may be familiar with: Anthony was impeached
and 15% of the decisionmaking body (those Developers who voted) were
in favour of forcing him out and holding an emergency election.

No other DPL has done anything controversial enough to put to a vote
to overrule the decision, let alone been subject to a vote whether to
recall them.

Ian.