Re: [draft 3] Guidelines for Equipment and Service Donations

From: Nils Lohner <lohner(at)typhoon(dot)icd(dot)teradyne(dot)com>
To: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar(at)se232(dot)math(dot)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: [draft 3] Guidelines for Equipment and Service Donations
Date: 1999-03-15 15:14:30
Lists: spi-general

In message <Pine(dot)LNX(dot)3(dot)96(dot)990313222150(dot)18185d-100000(at)se232(dot)math(dot)indiana(dot)edu
ynn Winebarger writes:
>On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Nils Lohner wrote:

>> -Proposed Draft 3- Resolution 1999.03.03.nl
>> Guidelines for Equipment and Service Donations
>>
>> General Guidelines for Donations
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> - All equipment will be used to further the goals of SPI and its
>> affiliated projects, and will be used in accordance with all SPI rules
and
>> regulations.
>>
>>[etc]
>
> Could there be a clause stating where descriptions of purposes may be
>found? This might help provide a common reference for projects. I'm
>particularly thinking that 2 people might want their donations to be used
>for the same purpose, but described differently, particularly when there's
>no existent effort to fulfill the purpose, or the purpose is an
>intermittent one. Like if someone donated money toward the legal defense
>of free software developers on patent infringement suits. Or services,
>from lawyers.

I'd rather not write that into the resolution as it's a technicality, not
a general rule. I argee that this would be valuable, and it's something
that we should probably put on our web site in the project pages.

> Also, a site describing the current funding status of the different
>projects/purposes might be helpful in determining where one wants to
>dedicate their money (in some cases, you might decide not to donate for
>a very under-funded one as compared to a better-funded one that
>seems to be gathering some momentum. or you might make the opposite
>decision).

Yes, it would be. This could also go on the project pages.

Thanks for the comments!

Nils.

>Lynn
>

>--