Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification

From: Russell Nelson <nelson(at)crynwr(dot)com>
To: board(at)opensource(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification
Date: 1999-04-10 05:08:20
Lists: spi-general

Anthony Towns writes:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 1999 at 04:16:09AM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:
> > Anthony Towns writes:
> > > My major problem, though, is that Eric is acting with the support of the
> > > OSI board (although if you believe Bruce, even that's questionable), and
> > > that's about it. There's no community involvement at all.
> > We've already voted to establish a mailing list for discussing
> > licenses. I'm waiting for a few technical changes to announce the
> > list. In the meantime I can add you by hand if you wish, although
> > there's no discussion since there's no way to get to that address.
>
> Cool.
>
> How will this mailing list be used? Will comments raised on that list
> be taken into account before or after a license is deemed open source?

Before.

> How will comments from that list be taken into account?

I have no idea. The board is comprised of six individuals. I expect
that they will all have their own method of taking it into account
when board decisions are made.

> I trust every post from the first will be publically archived?

Yes.

> > > * This should read ``The Open Source Initiative is
> > > currently working with Apple to fix the few remaining flaws in
> > > the license'', or something similar.
> > One doesn't admit to a mistake without having a solution in place.
> > It's simply not done.
>
> It is too done.

You're confusing what hackers do amongst themselves with what suits do.
OSI doesn't exist to talk to hackers. It talks to suits, and has to
talk their language.

> Further, not doing it makes you look like you're not interested in
> correcting those mistakes.

There will be an APSL 1.1.

> > > * OSI publically consult before granting any license OS status.
> > Will be done. Any other demands?
>
> Put a link to board(at)opensource(dot)org on the `Roster of the Board' page
> at www.opensource.org. Replace the <a href="mailto:esr">mail us</a>
> links with links to board(at)opensource(dot)org(dot)

I'd really, really rather *not* get a ton of mail sent to that address
thankyouverymuch.

> Those would be my demands. I'd also like to see OSI keep a record of
> licenses that are open source, and ones that aren't on the opensource.org
> pages; ideally with some discussion of what's good about them and what's
> not.

The OSD 1.3 has the ones that are. There are too many others to list
them.

--
-russ nelson <rn-sig(at)crynwr(dot)com> http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | There is good evidence