Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification

From: Russell Nelson <nelson(at)crynwr(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, board(at)opensource(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification
Date: 1999-04-11 12:15:51
Lists: spi-general

Robert Levin writes:
> Coming into the discussion late, I will comment that, to the extent that OSI
> performs its functions without consulting the community, it can't expect to
> be considered representative of the community.

I consider us to be following Jon Postel's model. Jon never seemed to
consult the community, but boy he sure listened.

> There were clear, obvious problems with the Apple license, for example.

Everybody has 20-20 vision in hindsight. I would point out that Bruce
was not removed from the board mailing list in a timely manner, and
received a copy of the APSL at the same time we did. If the problems
were so obvious, why didn't Bruce spot them in time?

> I think a lot of us would just like to see OSI research more than certify.
> I.e., if someone comes to you to wanting to know if their new license is
> open source, resist the temptation to believe that it will be open source if
> you rule ex cathedra it's so. Get input from the broader community, and
> express your opinions as opinions.

mailto:license-discuss-subscribe(at)opensource(dot)org .

--
-russ nelson <rn-sig(at)crynwr(dot)com> http://crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | There is good evidence