Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification

From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus(dot)Brinkmann(at)ruhr-uni-bochum(dot)de>
To: Russell Nelson <nelson(at)crynwr(dot)com>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Open Source certification
Date: 1999-04-11 10:28:36
Lists: spi-general

On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 01:29:02AM -0000, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Right, and if they want to do so using Open Source(tm), they have to
> abide by the rules. And that means "free [their] software".

Yeah, that's one fundamental prerequisite. But that will not mean that we
"choose to play with them", to stretch the analogy.

There is a lot more behind it: for example, good faith and mind share. I
wonder if the members of the OSI board read the "reflections about the past
year" by Frank Hecker from Mozilla. http://www.mozilla.org/mozilla-at-one.html
(It seems thatat least ESR read it, judging by the "open letter to
Microsoft" [[on that I better not comment]])

The point is that the company must make a good effort to go Free Software,
or the bazaar model doesn't work because of lack of participiation.

Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org finger brinkmd@
Marcus Brinkmann GNU http://www.gnu.org master.debian.org