Re: Self-organization

From: David Graham <cdlu(at)pkl(dot)net>
To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
Cc: spi-bylaws(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Self-organization
Date: 2003-01-30 15:13:55
Lists: spi-bylaws

> Please comment on/revise/complain/whatever about the below. Particularly,
> we need to decide on self-organization issues right away, such as in 1(a).
>
> Draft agenda, present -- June 2003
> ----------------------------------
>
> 1. Self-organization
> a. Voting procedures
> We should decide on just what needs a vote and how to conduct them.
> I suggest that we vote on our initial organization and agenda,
> and on the documents we issue as we go along. We could make voting
> easy -- whenever 3 people vote yes, the item passes; and whever
> 3 vote no, the item fails. These numbers could be reduced if we
> know some members are going to be unable to vote. Business
> will be conducted by e-mail.
> b. Deciding on our output
> We'll need to issue at least one document: a proposal for bylaws
> amendments. We can also consider issuing others, such as a rationale
> for each proposed change. We'll probably update these as we
> go along.
> c. Selection of first secretary
> We should chose someone from our members to act as secretary,
> maintaining our documents and tabulating results of votes.
> This secretary need not be the same person for the entire duration
> of the committee.
>
> 2. Identification of problems
> Our charter contains a list of things we are to consider, and also leaves
> the door open for us to identify other problems. This stage should be
> solely the formation of a list of things we agree need help, and in the
> next stage, we'll decide whether each problem should be fixed by
> a bylaws amendment, and if so, how to do so.

To this end I suggest we all take an independant look at the bylaws and
note down everywhere we think there needs to be clarification. Any aspect
that at least 3 of committee members agree needs study then gets further
study and proposed changes (as discussed in 3).

> 3. Drafting of solutions
> For each separate problem, we will decide whether a solution is best
> achieved with a bylaws amendment, and if so, what the amendment should
> be.
>
> 4. Publication of results
> We will publish results as listed in section 1b.
>
> As a final note, I see my role as one of making sure that our work advances
> in a timely fashion and is done in accordance with applicable existing
> resolutions and bylaws rules. If anyone has a problem with that, speak now
> or forever hold your peace :-)

I'm speaking now to hold my peace, and I vote "yes" to accept this as our
procedures. :)

David "cdlu" Graham cdlu(at)pkl(dot)net
Guelph, Ontario SMS: +1 519 760 1409