Re: Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors

From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors
Date: 2003-02-22 22:24:29
Lists: spi-announce spi-bylaws spi-general

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:49:28AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Documenting a buggy interface isn't fixing the problem, and the obvious
> interpretation of the vote "------1-" or "G" is to rank Bruce above
> everyone else. For comparison, the latest drafts of the Debian voting
> mechanism say:

This omits a useful option. For instance, what if I do not feel that I know
enough about a given candidate and wish to express no opinion whatsoever
about that candidate?

This may be what happened here (I don't know). It can also happen in
Debian, but the draft excludes that possibility. Even if a voter is allowed
to rank all "unknown" candidates the same, there is still some preference
expressed between the "known" candidates and the unknown ones.

-- John