Re: Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors

From: Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: spi-bylaws(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors
Date: 2003-02-22 23:07:14
Lists: spi-announce spi-bylaws spi-general

On 20030222T145642-0500, Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer wrote:
> I should re-iterate that under the SPI bylaws, this election does not in
> and of itself appoint new people to the SPI Board; only a vote of the
> Board itself can do this. This election basically serves as a
> recommendation of the membership. Of course, the bylaws can be changed
> to permit "direct election" of Board members by the organizational
> membership, and if you feel that that should be the case, I suggest you
> let the Bylaws Revision Committee know this:
>
> spi-bylaws(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org

Where I live, in an organization such as what SPI would be if it would
be under local laws, it would be outright illegal for a board to decide
on its members (the decision must be by the membership, or by their
elected representatives). I was quite astonished to find out that this
is not the case in the USA, and I do consider it a flaw that the SPI
bylaws do not make it so.

The board *must* be under the membership's control, in all respects.
Therefore I am in favour of direct election (not just permitted, but
required).

--
%%% Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho % gaia(at)iki(dot)fi % http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ %%%

Please send any work-related email to <antkaij(at)mit(dot)jyu(dot)fi>