Re: ASL/SPI partnership

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: MJ Ray <mjr(at)phonecoop(dot)coop>, secretary(at)spi-inc(dot)org, "Felipe Augusto van de Wiel \(faw\)" <felipe(at)cathedrallabs(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ASL/SPI partnership
Date: 2007-01-29 04:22:27
Lists: spi-general

Felipe,

> Yes, I think is is something like that. Since DebConf4, ASL.org
> is holding Debian's money and every once in a while, Brazilian Debian
> Developers request Debian Project Leader (DPL) approval to use the money
> to pay for a booth or to make some CDs. The money is also used in
> situations like DebConf reimbursements.

Hmmm. How would we handle eventual balance-of-payment issues? Given that
we're liable to raise more money in the US? We can't just transfer to
you. :-(

> With the last change in the Debian Constitution, it seems that
> DPL is able to apoint a list of "sister" organizations that can take
> care of Debian's money, which is in fact what already happen, because
> ASL.org do not use the money without DPL approval and a Brazilian DD
> "hint" (which basically means, translating and forwarding mails to the
> right people). ;)

Yes. If we're talking Debian only, the DPL can ask me to pay *any* Debian
expense; he doesn't have to justify it as a sister organization or anything.
As long as the DPL asks for it, someone produces a receipt and it's not
something specifically prohibited, I'll pay it.

Now, I think it might be more useful to do partnerships for all SPI
organizations. PostgreSQL, for example, has a large community in Brazil and
no non-profit org there. I'll have to talk to them about that when I'm there
for FISL8.

--
Josh Berkus
Treasurer