Re: Election results

From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy(at)si-inc(dot)org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Election results
Date: 2007-08-07 19:17:43
Lists: spi-announce spi-general

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 03:12:04PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> That doesn't say one must vote, though. Of course, I also happen to
> think that not voting, in the absence of an "I abstain" or "I refuse
> my ballot" option on the ballot, is a legitimate way of communicating
> something. The problem, naturally, lies in understanding the message
> so sent.

Speaking only on my own behalf, I don't think that voting in SPI should
be compulsory for contributing members, and my reading of the bylaw does
not require members to vote. They do, however, have the responsibility
to oversee the board, but by parallel with other membership
organizations I would view that as a collective responsiblity instead of
an individual responsibility of every member. (Morally/ethically, every
member should individually oversee the board, but as far as a binding
responsibility imposed by the bylaws as opposed to a philosophically
grounded one, I view it as collective.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy(at)spi-inc(dot)org