Re: Charters, manifestos, and SPI's purpose, and forum-widening

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk
Subject: Re: Charters, manifestos, and SPI's purpose, and forum-widening
Date: 2007-05-10 20:38:09
Lists: spi-general

Ian Jackson wrote:
> Note forum-shifting, of which more discussion later in this mail.
>
> Joshua D. Drake writes on board@ ("Re: SPI support for [some project]"):
>> You are correct, and I find it a very, very sad prospect that we are
>> only able to [act as trustees for funds] this when our charter
>> clearly states we should be doing so much more.
>
> I think you've misunderstood the function of the charter. The charter
> for a legally constituted organisation like SPI is not its manifesto.
> Everything that the founders and subsequent members of the
> organisation think it might reasonably want to do has to be listed in
> the legal charter, because if an organisation acts outside its charter
> it and its board, officers, etc., are very legally exposed. Therefore
> charters are necessarily broad, vague and often formulaic.
>
> SPI's charter lists all of the things that SPI is permitted to do.
> That doesn't mean that all of those things are primary objectives for
> SPI or that we intend to do all of them any time soon.
>
> Perhaps SPI ought to have a manifesto but at the moment it doesn't.

Except that our "charter" isn't that vague. It is pretty explicit and in
fact defines "purpose". Purpose is:

1. the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.
2. an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.
3. determination; resoluteness.
4. the subject in hand; the point at issue.
5. practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose.

Now, perhaps I am being too pedantic but honestly... did the founders of
SPI intend that we were only to be a glorified PayPal? Does the board
consider that the case now?

* To create, form and establish an organization to formulate and
provide software systems for use by the general public without charge;
* to teach and train individuals regarding the use and application
of such systems;
* to hold classes, seminars and workshops concerning the proper use
and application of computers and computer systems;
* to endeavor to monitor and improve the quality of currently
existing publicly available software;
* to support, educate and promote the creation and development of
software available to the general public;
* to provide information and education regarding the proper use of
the Internet;
* to organize, hold and conduct meetings, discussions, and forums
on contemporary issues concerning the use of computers and computer
software;
* to foster, promote and increase access to software systems
available to the general public;
* to solicit, collect and otherwise raise money and to expend such
funds in furtherance of the goals and activities of the corporation;
* to aid, assist, cooperate, co-sponsor and otherwise engage in
concerted action with private, educational and governmental
organizations and associations on all issues and matters concerning the
use of computers and computer software;
and generally
* to endeavor to promote, foster and advance interest in computers
and computer software by all available means and methods.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/