Re: Charters, manifestos, and SPI's purpose, and forum-widening

From: Bruce Perens <bruce(at)perens(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk
Subject: Re: Charters, manifestos, and SPI's purpose, and forum-widening
Date: 2007-05-10 20:51:37
Lists: spi-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Now, perhaps I am being too pedantic but honestly... did the founders
> of SPI intend that we were only to be a glorified PayPal?
The founders are myself and Tim Sailer. Our specific goal at the time
was to protect Debian developers from personal liability by giving them
a corporate shield. This purpose was not achieved, but IMO is more
important today than it was in 1998. Ownership of a few Debian
properties was also a goal.

Being PayPal for Open Source projects in general came later.

Bruce